Thursday, June 24, 2010

Donkey ride....never again!

We were told the best way to visit the Lindos Acropolis was to go up by donkey. We went to the center of town where the donkeys were and paid our 5 euros each. A roller coaster without brakes about describes the donkey ride. We felt totally out of control. Our donkey handler was surely and more mulish than our donkeys. He was in great hurry and took off with the two of us on donkeys before he had a chance to put our feet in the stirrups. He did that later on the ride when it became apparently that 2 Americans were going down.


My donkey was very skittish and instead of following Jeff’s, wanted to overtake him in this narrow precipitous path with very little room for a passing lane. Upon arrival, the handler swept the donkeys out from under us before we could catch our breath. We had to pay later for a chance to take the photo in this blog. The Acropolis was very impressive but after the Athenian Acropolis, it was hard to be in awed!

While waiting to take the dreaded yacht that would take us from Greece to Turkey, I was shopping in one of the many tourist shops by the port when an old Greek decided to half moon me. He then talked to me, but I couldn’t understand him, because it was all Greek to me. (I couldn’t resist it!). When I spoke English to him, his wife, the owner of the shop, was horrified. He thought I was Greek and was making fun of the young people with their pants worn so low on their hips.

No comments:

Post a Comment